Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Buah Keranji

In my childhood memories, I remember eating some fruits and I love the taste of it! The taste of the fruit is like none other, it's like a combination of everything. Over time, I did not see the fruit again and forgot about it totally.

One day, 25 years later (I believed I ate the fruit first time sometimes during kindergarten), I saw these roundish greyish black thing at my husband-then-fiance's aunt house and something in me stirred like I know what they are. Aunt thought me how to open it and when I popped it in my mouth, I've realized that this is the fruit that I've been long to eat without realizing it.

I found this fruit again when we was sight-seeing at Betong town during Gawai holiday. I was surprised actually when I saw this packet in one of the shop. Wow, they do sell this! was what I thought. As far as I know, you can only get these little round black fruit in the woods! and I was so lucky to stumble upon it because this is actually distributed from Kapit, Sarawak :)

I'm very happy to think that they do commercialized this fruit and now, people like me can buy and eat it to our heart contents! I grabbed four packets of it @ rm4/packet and I finished 3 packets in Sarawak even before returning home :)


Buah Keranji. I love this fruit.


It's greyish black.


To open it, just squeeze it a little until you hear the crack sounds.


There you are!


The inside.


The eatable part is the thin layered dark brown which is soft. The taste is sourly sweet! I don't know how to describe the taste actually, but it's like combination between sweet and sour, heavy on the sour side.


Keranji seed. This can't be eaten.


Comparison between the bad and the eatable Keranji. The bad Keranji is fully covered with whitish layered and can't be eaten. The healthy Keranji is usually in black or brown.


Noticed that healthy Keranji does have different colour, it can be either black, brown, or brownish black. Sometimes, it will have some whitish colour but still can be eaten. When you eat too much Keranji, you can tell which one is the bad and the good ones :)


0 pokes:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...