Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Ring: Which Hand?

One of my friend already has plan for E-day and W-day. We were discussing which hand to put the e-ring, either left or right? 

I put my e-ring on my left hand (ring finger, next to pinky finger). On my E-day, me and hubby-then-boyfriend, both don't know on which hand the e-ring goes, but all the witnessess during that day pointed that it goes to the left hand, which of course the same goes with my wedding ring. 

My friend said that she was made to understand that the e-ring will be in her right hand and w-ring on her left hand. I know that this system is the same with Muslim society. Maybe Chinese also follows the same rules (she'll be marrying into Chinese family). 

"It is believed that the ancient Romans began the practice of placing the engagement ring on the left ring finger, which they believed contained the "vena amoris" or vein of love which supposedly connected directly to the heart. Other ancient cultures, including the Egyptians, also used such symbolism, and even today the tradition persists both with engagement rings and wedding bands. In fact, wedding bands are placed first on the left ring finger to be closest to the heart." [source: http://engagementrings.lovetoknow.com]

Looks like I'm following ancient Romans tradition :) The explanation why the left hand? I like it, vena amoris.

I googled and also found out that actually on your wedding day, the e-ring will goes to the right hand because the w-ring will goes to the left hand. Only after the wedding day, then the e-ring will be place back on the left hand, on top of the w-ring.

Me? On my wedding day, I put my e-ring in its box :p I have this feeling, that the w-ring don't want to share any of the fingers with anyone... err rings. Also, during the exchanging w-ring ceremony, I wanted to gaze all my fingers, bare and naked. After the wedding, I decided not to put the e-ring back because I felt like I wanted to concentrate on my w-ring only. 

To look upon my fingers with only the w-ring, a reminder that I am someone wife already :)

0 pokes:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...